Dow Jones internship training concludes; students go off to prestigious job sites

The highly competitive national program is operated by the Dow Jones News Fund.

Dow Jones News Fund

The Dow Jones News Fund interns and faculty members stand on the pedestrian bridge of the Moody College of Communication. “I didn’t have a lot of experience with copy editing so this gave me the tools and some of the tricks from some real experienced people in the field,” said Noah Broder, an intern who will be working at Central Connecticut Communications this summer.

Eleven college students and recent college graduates are headed to copy editing internships after completing 10 days of intensive preparation at the University of Texas at Austin.

The interns are among a group of undergraduate and graduate students placed in internships in copy editing, sports copy editing, business reporting and digital journalism.

The highly competitive national program is operated by the Dow Jones News Fund. The more than 750 applicants had to take a test and complete an extensive application.

Newspaper professionals, visiting faculty and UT journalism faculty moderated the sessions in this 20th residency program at UT-Austin.

In the latter half of the pre-internship training, participants produced three issues of a model daily newspaper, the Southwest Journalist, as well as a companion online product, swjournalist.com.

The UT-News Fund interns serve internships of 10 to 12 weeks.

Grants from the News Fund and contributions from participating news organizations cover the participants’ training, including housing, meals, transportation and instruction.

Participating newspapers also pay interns a weekly wage for their internship work. Students returning to their universities after the internships are eligible for a $1,000 scholarship provided by the News Fund.

Beth Butler and Bradley Wilson served as co-directors of the workshop with assistance from Boyle, administrative manager of the UT School of Journalism.

Faculty included George Sylvie, associate professor at UT-Austin; Mark Grabowski, associate professor at Adelphi University; and Linda Shockley, managing director of the News Fund in Princeton, New Jersey.

Students also had the opportunity to visit with John Cox and other staff members at Community Impact Newspaper in Pflugerville, Texas; Corrie McClaggan and staff at the Texas Tribune; Dan Cunningham, retired senior editor of the Houston Chronicle; and Will Weisert, bureau chief at the Austin Bureau of the Associated Press.

Participants in the 2018 program at UT included:

• Yelena Dzhanova from Baruch College, who will intern at BuzzFeed
  • Anna Glavash from the University of Oregon, who will intern at Newsday
  • Brendan Wynne from Midwestern State University, who will intern at Gatehouse Media
  • Caroline Hurley from Columbia University, who will intern at Stars & Stripes
  • Emily Burleson from the University of Houston, who will intern at the Houston Chronicle
  • Emily McPherson from the University of Oklahoma, who will intern at the Tampa Bay Times
  • George Roberson from the University of Missouri, who will intern at the Augusta Chronicle
  • Isabelle D’Antonio from the University of Central Florida, who will intern at the Los Angeles Times
  • Laurel Foster from the University of Oregon, who will intern at Omaha World-Herald
  • Sorayah Zahir from the University of Texas-Arlington, who will intern at Beaumont Enterprise
  • Noah Broder from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, who will intern at Central Connecticut Communications