The 2023 class of Dow Jones News Fund multiplatform editing interns. (BRADLEY WILSON)
The 2023 class of Dow Jones News Fund multiplatform editing interns.

BRADLEY WILSON

Dow Jones News Fund 2023 interns complete training; head to prestigious paid journalism internships (Video)

15 college students will spend summer working at New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times and other news media

June 1, 2023

Fifteen college student journalists are headed to editing internships or returning to their newsrooms after completing 10 days of intensive preparation at the 26th Center for Editing Excellence at the University of Texas at Austin.
The participants have been placed in internships in multiplatform editing as part of the Dow Jones News Fund internship program.
The Associated Press allowed students to use the wire services for content and instructional material, and School Newspapers Online hosted the Southwest Journalist website.
Newspaper professionals, visiting faculty and UT journalism faculty moderated training sessions in the first half of the 25th residency program.
In the latter half of the pre-internship training, participants produced three issues of a model daily newspaper, the Southwest Journalist, as well as a companion online and social media product, swjournalist.com.
Grants from the Dow Jones News Fund and contributions from participating news organizations cover the cost of training. Participants spent more than eight hours each day on classroom instruction and production of the newspaper and website.
Bradley Wilson, an associate professor at Midwestern State University, served as director of the workshop with assistance from Liesbeth Demaer and Alice Rentz in the UT School of Journalism and Media. David Ryfe is the director of the UT School of Journalism.
Faculty included Beth Butler, retired faculty at Kent State University and freelance editor, Mark Grabowski, associate professor at Adelphi University, and Griff Singer, retired senior lecturer at the UT School of Journalism and Media and former director of the workshop.

The 2023 participants:

Guest speakers:

• Craig Garnett, editor and publisher, Uvalde Leader
  • Philana Patterson, head of newsroom audio, Wall Street Journal
  • Ed Trayes, retired, professor, Temple University, former director DJNF editing program at Temple University

Special thanks to:

• Shirley Carswell, executive director, Dow Jones News Fund
  • Heather Taylor, manager of digital media and programs, Dow Jones News Fund

Southwest Journalist • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Southwest Journalist Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *