Dow Jones News Fund 2023 interns complete training; head to prestigious paid journalism internships (Video)
15 college students will spend summer working at New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times and other news media
June 1, 2023
Fifteen college student journalists are headed to editing internships or returning to their newsrooms after completing 10 days of intensive preparation at the 26th Center for Editing Excellence at the University of Texas at Austin.
The participants have been placed in internships in multiplatform editing as part of the Dow Jones News Fund internship program.
The Associated Press allowed students to use the wire services for content and instructional material, and School Newspapers Online hosted the Southwest Journalist website.
Newspaper professionals, visiting faculty and UT journalism faculty moderated training sessions in the first half of the 25th residency program.
In the latter half of the pre-internship training, participants produced three issues of a model daily newspaper, the Southwest Journalist, as well as a companion online and social media product, swjournalist.com.
Grants from the Dow Jones News Fund and contributions from participating news organizations cover the cost of training. Participants spent more than eight hours each day on classroom instruction and production of the newspaper and website.
Bradley Wilson, an associate professor at Midwestern State University, served as director of the workshop with assistance from Liesbeth Demaer and Alice Rentz in the UT School of Journalism and Media. David Ryfe is the director of the UT School of Journalism.
Faculty included Beth Butler, retired faculty at Kent State University and freelance editor, Mark Grabowski, associate professor at Adelphi University, and Griff Singer, retired senior lecturer at the UT School of Journalism and Media and former director of the workshop.
The 2023 participants:
- Isabella Avila, University of Oklahoma, NerdWallet
- Francesca Bermudez, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles Times
- Matthew Brown, UC Berkeley, San Francisco Chronicle
- Colin Crawford, Northwestern University, The New York Times
- Liset Cruz, Columbia Graduate School of Journalism, Associated Press
- Joy Diamond, UC Berkeley, The New York Times
- Isabel Funk, Northwestern University, San Francisco Chronicle
- Dori Gray, Ohio University, The New York Times
- Aaron Hughes, Eastern Michigan University, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Grant Johnson, James Madison University, The Washington Post
- Spencer Otte, California State University – Fullerton, Bay City News Foundation
- Robert Stewart, University of Arkansas, Stars and Stripes
- Andrea Teres-Martinez, Boise State University, The Wall Street Journal
- Ethan Thomas, University of Texas at El Paso, The Texas Tribune
- Sophie Young, Kent State University, The New York Times
- Craig Garnett, editor and publisher, Uvalde Leader
- Philana Patterson, head of newsroom audio, Wall Street Journal
- Ed Trayes, retired, professor, Temple University, former director DJNF editing program at Temple University
Special thanks to:
- Shirley Carswell, executive director, Dow Jones News Fund
- Heather Taylor, manager of digital media and programs, Dow Jones News Fund