Southwest Journalist

Filed under Front Page, Nation, Sports

76ers investigating tweets linked to team president Bryan Colangelo

Colangelo is accused of using fake Twitter accounts to anonymously tweet about his players

Back to Article
Back to Article

Philadelphia 76ers general manager Bryan Colangelo speaks during a news conference at the NBA basketball team's practice facility in Camden, N.J. Colangelo is denying a report connecting the executive to Twitter accounts that criticized Sixers players Joel Embiid and Markelle Fultz, among other NBA figures. The accounts also took aim at former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie, Toronto Raptors executive Masai Ujiri and former Sixers players Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel, according to a report by The Ringer.

MATT ROURKE/Associated Press

MATT ROURKE/Associated Press

MATT ROURKE/Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA — The Philadelphia 76ers are investigating whether team president Bryan Colangelo used Twitter accounts to anonymously trash some of his own players and fellow executives and to defend himself against criticism from fans and the sports media.

The five accounts took aim at Philadelphia players Joel Embiid and Markelle Fultz, former Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie, Toronto Raptors executive Masai Ujiri and former Sixers players Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel, according to a report by The Ringer website.

Colangelo acknowledged using one of the accounts to monitor the NBA industry and other current events, but said he wasn’t familiar with the other four and didn’t know who was behind them.

“The allegations are serious and we have commenced an independent investigation into the matter,” the Sixers said Wednesday in a statement. “We will report the results of that investigation as soon as it is concluded.”

Embiid, the 24-year-old All-Star center, tweeted that he didn’t believe the report.

“I don’t believe the story. That would just be insane,” he wrote.

The Ringer said in its report that it has been monitoring the accounts since February, when it received an anonymous tip about the accounts. The site said it does not know the source of the tip, but archived and monitored the tweets themselves and found connections between the accounts.

The Ringer said it initially asked the Sixers about just two of the five accounts to see if anything would change with the other three after its query, and the same day the other three accounts were made private.

Colangelo was hired as president of basketball operations for Philadelphia in April 2016. He served as Toronto’s general manager from 2006-2013.

Colangelo, the son of longtime sports executive Jerry Colangelo, stepped in with the Sixers after Hinkie resigned. He lost his GM job in Toronto after the Raptors missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive season, and Ujiri took over basketball operations.

According to The Ringer, one of the Twitter accounts it connected to Colangelo downplayed Hinkie’s role in the franchise’s turnaround. It also lamented in another post that Ujiri hadn’t done anything to make the Raptors better.

Another account accused Embiid of “playing like a toddler having tantrums,” and one criticized Fultz for his work with his “so called mentor/father figure.”

Colangelo isn’t the only person with an NBA-related Twitter fiasco. In 2017, Golden State Warriors player Kevin Durant came under fire when he allegedly forgot to switch to a “burner” account, and replied to tweets from his verified account, referring to himself in the third person. In February, Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr replied to an NBA tweet about Houston Rockets player James Harden, calling it an “embarrassment.” Kerr later claimed his tweet was meant to be a direct message.

See screenshots of those tweets below: