Movies to watch this summer

Movies are back on the big screen. Here are some films to put on your watchlist.

CALEIGH BARTASH, Southwest Journalist

Blockbuster films are making their way to screens big and small this summer, including some that were postponed from 2020. Already finished the “Quiet Place” sequel and Disney’s “Cruella”? Check out these other new films coming to theaters and streaming platforms in the warmer months:

June 4 – The Conjuring (R)

“The Conjuring — The Devil Made Me Do It” will be the third film in the series that follows paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. The movie will appear on HBO Max and arrive in theaters the same day. 

June 10 – In The Heights (PG-13)

Lin-Manuel Miranda’s film adaptation of the Broadway musical will open in theaters and for streaming on HBO Max nearly a year after its original release date.

June 11 and 18 – 12 Mighty Orphans (PG-13)

A Fort Worth high school football coach leads his team of orphaned students to a state championship amid the Great Depression in this sports tale based on a true story. Keep in mind the June 11 date will be a limited release and the wide release will open in more theaters a week later.

June 16 – Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard (R)

Ryan Reynolds, Salma Hayek and Samuel L. Jackson are just a few members of the star-studded cast of this sequel to 2017’s action comedy hit “The Hitman’s Bodyguard.” It will first appear in theaters and eager viewers can check Snapchat for early viewing opportunities.

June 25 – F9 (PG-13)

The ninth iteration of the Fast and Furious franchise will first open in theaters. Rapper Cardi B joins veteran franchise members including Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson and Jordana Brewster.

June 30 – Zola (R)

The drama film based on a viral 148-part Twitter thread from 2015 will hit theaters at the end of the month. “Zola” tells the story of a Detroit waitress caught up in a two-day journey of debauchery.

July 9 – Black Widow (PG-13)

Marvel Studios’ long-awaited “Black Widow” will enter theaters and arrive on Disney+ Premier Access simultaneously. Actress Scarlett Johansson is only the second woman to lead her own Marvel Cinematic Universe film. A trailer is available on the Marvel site.

July 30 – The Green Knight (R)

Dev Patel leads this fantasy rendition of the old story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which will show in theaters first.

Aug. 6 – The Suicide Squad (R)

James Gunn’s standalone movie based on the DC Comics hit features stars such as Margot Robbie and Idris Elba, among others. It will open on both HBO Max and in theaters.

Aug. 13 – CODA (PG-13)

Apple bought the rights to CODA in a record-breaking deal after its showing at the Sundance Film Festival. English actress Emilia Jones plays the hearing child of deaf parents, also known as a CODA.

Aug. 27 – Candyman (R)

Jordan Peele’s “spiritual sequel” to the1992 horror flick of the same name is expected to finally release in theaters August after three date changes.