North Carolina campus suspect may have recorded carnage

Riley+Howell

MATTHEW WESTMORELAND

This photo provided by Matthew Westmoreland shows Riley Howell. A North Carolina police department has honored college student Howell and his family after he was killed when a gunman opened fire inside a classroom.

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C.  — The attacker who killed two students and wounded four others in a North Carolina university classroom may have recorded video of the classroom carnage on his cellphone, a Charlotte television station reported Saturday.

A new arrest warrant described former student Trystan Andrew Terrell telling police he recorded video at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte on April 30, WSOC reported.

A police spokeswoman said Saturday she would not provide a copy of the warrant filed in court, citing the ongoing investigation.

The arrest warrant indicates that the first officer on scene thought the accused shooter may be one of the victims and asked Terrell, 22, if he had been shot. He told the officer he was lying on the ground because he had been tackled, the warrant said.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said last month that 21-year-old Riley Howell, who was killed, saved a number of lives by charging and tackling the gunman when he opened fire in a classroom in the school’s Kennedy Building. Ellis Parlier, 19, was also killed inside a lecture hall.

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)