Chauvin sentencing: State seeks 30 years
Defense seeks time served.
June 2, 2021
MINNEAPOLIS — Prosecutors are seeking a 30-year sentence for the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in George Floyd’s death.
Chauvin is scheduled to be sentenced June 25 following his conviction on murder and manslaughter charges. Judge Peter Cahill previously ruled there were aggravating factors in Floyd’s death. That gives him the discretion to sentence Chauvin above the range recommended by state guidelines, which top out at 15 years.
Prosecutors said Chauvin’s actions were egregious and a sentence of 30 years would “properly account for the profound impact of Defendant’s conduct on the victim, the victim’s family, and the community.”
They said that Chauvin’s actions “shocked the nation’s conscience.”
“No sentence can undo Mr. Floyd’s death, and no sentence can undo the trauma Defendant’s actions have inflicted. But the sentence the Court imposes must show that no one is above the law, and no one is below it,” prosecutors wrote. “Defendant’s sentence must hold him fully accountable for his reprehensible conduct.”
According to court documents filed Wednesday, defense attorney Eric Nelson cited Chauvin’s age, lack of a criminal record, and the support from family and friends when he requested a sentence of probation and time served. He said Chauvin, 45, was the product of a broken system.